3/26/2010

Cowboy Up

I know I've alluded to the fact that James will not move out of his crib on this blog, but I must say it loudly....James WILL NOT budge from sleeping in his crib. Whenever we suggest he sleep in the toddler bed in Henry's room that we've been calling "James' big boy bed" for a few weeks now, he yells in opposition and runs for "MY bed" (the crib). I'm telling you, this kid has very few things to call his own, and so he's fully attached to HIS bed.

We aren't kicking him out just yet because in all honesty I'd rather wait until the baby is 6 to 8 weeks old to move him/her into the nursery anyway. And, I would love for James to keep being his saintly sleeping self while I'm caring for a newborn and lacking on sleep myself. It's just that we've been decorating, rearranging, and planning the boys room for a bit now, and Henry is so anxious to have James as a roommate. He asks nightly if James will sleep in his big boy bed yet and is heartbroken when he refuses. What toddler doesn't want out of their crib?....it's sorta strange to me, so if you have any experience with this please share what worked.

In preparation to have James move in, I took down Henry's picture wall timeline that I put up a few years ago. It ended up being way too high maintenance....frames would fall, pieces would break and frankly, I didn't want to ever mess with changing out that many photos to keep them current. But, to replace the timeline I found some amazing letter templates on this site, and used them to make James and Henry a "timeline" shaped as the first letter of their names. I printed them at mpix.com on matboard, stuck them on a shelf above the corresponding bed, and I'm loving it.


The only problem with this change was all of the holes left in the wall from the picture frames, so Allie, the vinyl pro, pulled through for me again and printed rolling hills with cowboys to cover the damage. I'm lovin' it, as well.
And no brothers' room is complete without some cute/dorky/sentimental saying...
I hope they buddy-up soon and James actually agrees to join his brother in their new joint.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried 'bribing' - giving a reward for sleeping in the big bed? A sticker each night he sleeps in the bed all night and then a special something at the end of a week or so?

We potty trained Cora with candy rewards. I think m&m's and suckers. I'm not opposed to bribing as long as that's not the only way your kids will do something, you know?

pamela said...

those letter pictures are really great jessie.

**and um, i must nicely say i think you are crazy for moving him out of his crib!!!ahhh!! keep him in it until he's three!! it's worth the sanity. i know the predicament you are in though, because i am in the same one myself, only i hadn't thought of it much until i read this post.

The Unprocessed Project said...

I have no advice on the crib deal, but darling room!

Unknown said...

keepem in the crib as long as possible, Will you you make me those letters for each of my kids for my birthday and X-mas next year, how much do u charge?

chris w said...

LOVE the cowboy theme - so stinking cute!

I've kept my kids in their cribs as long as they would stay there so I'm no expert, but I thought you might try "camping" where they sleep out in the living room together or in the new room together on the floor - they get to eat camping style foods and s'mores and stuff and then sleep on the floor. Then after sleeping out of his bed for a couple of nights like this you could see how he feels, or if you are at the point where you just gotta move the baby in, you could change out the bedding and decor in his room one night while he is "camping" and then he won't have crib to move back to?

Good luck! I hope you find a happy way to convince him. I'm also a big fan of bribery when you are making a big life change like that to ease some of the pain.

Sarah said...

OMGosh -- their room looks adorable!

Niederfam said...

Darling.........LOVE those letter boards!!!

As for getting him to sleep in his bed, NO IDEA, sorry!!! MAYBE when the baby is actually here, he'll feel BIG and the transition will be easier??? I'll cross my fingers for you!!