3/25/2011

Bunk Bed Boys

One day it hit me...
I want my office upstairs and my boys downstairs.
That night we attempted the boys sleeping in the basement.
It all ended with tears about James not listening to Henry during a fire,
and Henry having to see James be burned.
Even I was crying at the thought.
Well, time heals wounds and
the feeling of wanting them down there never left me.
I persisted and bribed,
"If you want bunkbeds, you have to sleep downstairs for a week".
That's all it took.

I picked bedding.
We purchased the paint....this, this, this and this.
Drove to SLC for cheap, sturdy bunkbeds from a warehouse.
Preston taped my dream design that I found on a scrapbook page layout.
Preston painted.
I kept shopping online for these and for that.
Preston built the bunkbeds and moved them in.
{the completed room from the doorway}

I continued shopping and hitting up my vinyl lady for letters & silhouettes.
Didn't they turn out so cute? I never thought I'd be able
to tell them apart by their profiles in this format so easily!
Henry loves to draw, color and hang up his artwork,
so I wanted to be sure to put a place for that in his room,
thus the hanging hook line and the corkboard.
I found lights to hang by their beds without wiring at Costco
and unfinished wooden book racks to paint at The Wood Connection
(since I didn't want to spend $100 on them from PBK).
One of the great perks about moving them downstairs
is the large closet. Plenty of room for clothes, dresser, hampers,
shoes and hooks for hanging things for 2 boys.
I'm a sucker for the Melissa & Doug toys,
so when a neighbor recommended the responsibility chart
I decided to go for the job chart and the calendar.
I'll report back on whether or not they give us success later.
I'm hoping that Henry, at least, can pick up on doing a few things
to help out around here and start to understand what "next week" means.
My only struggle with the completed room is Henry's red Anywhere Chair.
I can't decide if getting it in Navy or Chocolate Brown
is worth a new cover fee of $50.
I'm matchy-matchy and it's really starting to bug me
that it doesn't quite fit in with the color scheme.
What do you think?
It all came together swell and according to my vision.
They love it, sleep great and one day when they stink, I won't have to smell it
down in the dungeon. And if that job chart pays off they will be
cleaning up their own messes.

While at the doctor this week James was told he was
a great climber when he climbed up on the table all by himself.
He looked at the doctor and said, "I have bunkbeds."
Let's just hope climbing the bunkbeds doesn't get us
back to the doctor anytime soon!


Next up....Stella's girly room (without too much pink).

19 comments:

pamela said...

the room is amazing!! i love it. nice work.

Peach said...

Love it! Let's hope it stays that clean! The bunk bed looks EXACTLY like the one we got from walmart.com for Lucas. We only put one bunk together for him for now. Figured we'd need the other one soon enough. Hopefully anyway!

Sophie said...

Jessie it looks so amazing!! You've inspired me! We're moving our boys in together in the next couple weeks! Everything looks so clean and nicely put together! Great job! LOVE the silhouettes too!

Wheres you get the bunk beds? I love them!!

Sarah said...

What an awesome room!!! And I would be replacing the cover on Henry's chair too. I am matchy-matchy as well. Chocolate Brown would look GREAT!

Jessie said...

Sophie- they are made by walker Edison but we bought them at a local warehouse for cheap, not at a furniture store.

Lindsey said...

I love it!! I'm so jealous of your organization and drive...we've been here almost 4 years and Cam's walls are still white. :-/ Next house, both boys will have a done-up room! I'd love for them to share and have bunkbeds, too. :)

Anonymous said...

wow, that is fantastic! I may just have to convince the husband to drive there for bunk beds. I've been looking for some at a good price.

The chair would bother me too and I would totally get the new cover. Not sure what my husband would think though.

Alix Bryant said...

I'm inspired too! I looked at the site you referenced for the silhouettes, but I don't see them? help? !

Jody said...

Love it! You always have a great sense of style!

About Us. said...

I would not change the cover of the red chair. But I was an Interior Design Major in College so I am all about depth and originality and less about matchy, matchy. The red gives the room some depth and makes it pop, the color is in the same color family as what you painted and put in the room. You could always paint the bookcase red and then you would have two points of reference. But if you cannot take it and it has to be all the same and match everywhere, then you know you answer.

jodi said...

I am dying here! Will you come do my house? Jeff and I have been pouring over this post, we are going to do the same style in Garretts room. The things I love are the little touches...the shelves, the reading light, the dry erase and cork boards. Your amazing.

Unknown said...

looks really awesome jess! only thing is i don't think henrys head is that big:)

Jessie said...

Jodi- stop by & I can tell u all about it!!!

Jessie said...

Alix- it's a custom order. Email me if you are interested & I can get you hooked up!

bjean said...

I say keep the red chair and just add a few more red accents. Super cute.

Marieke said...

You did such a good job on the room! I want you do design my kids rooms! Good work.

Niederfam said...

Amazing, I'd have to switch the chair cover too, maybe it's a "girl" thing.....just do it! I almost always find it's WAY easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!! Ha ha....;)

Jadetime said...

I like the room decoration. I especially like the use of paper lanterns in the corner.

Felipa Barela said...

Kids love it when their bedroom is full of life. They feel like they're in a playground when they are surrounded with vibrant and interesting stuff. I like how you decorated your boys' room. The mix of colors was very pleasing to the eyes especially the bed area. The printed covers accentuates with the wooden bunk bed too.