4/05/2009

Games and Guidance

This past weekend was General Conference.  Henry is finally to the age where he can listen for more than 10 seconds.  He can listen even longer when candy is involved.  I read in the Ensign not too long ago about a family who hung the picture of all of the leaders of the church near the TV and the kids would match the leader speaking on the TV with his picture on the paper and put a sticker on it.  This was a fun one.  I had to help Henry by showing him which row the "grandpa" was in...then I guided him with what color hair he was looking for (usually white or none at all) and then it was even easier if he had glasses.  I loved this game more than Henry, but I have always been a huge fan of "Guess Who"

Henry was more interested in how to get the candy.  The other "game" we played was Conference Bingo.  When he heard any of the words on the bingo card (prayer, scriptures, etc.) he would cover that picture with a Starburst.  Once he got Bingo he could eat the candy from that row.  He was an overachiever at this one and waited until he got blackout to indulge.  

It was nice to feel like he was involved with Conference a bit this time around, and it allowed us to listen (when we weren't fighting James about stealing Starburst and darting off) (Note to self: Don't buy choking hazards).  Now that I know Henry likes the games I will have to find some more for October because he lost interest after the first session on the first day with these two.  

I was actually able to listen to most of Conference.  It gave me guidance and hope, as it always does.  My favorite was Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk about the holy week before Easter.  I loved his quote, "the gospel unlocks happiness, peace and fulfillment".  It's so true for me.  I can't imagine not having the gospel in my life.  It makes me happy every day.  It brings me peace even in times of discouragement.  It makes me feel fulfilled as a woman, as a mother, and as a Christian.  

2 comments:

Janelle said...

Those games sound like a blast! I can't believe Henry waited so long to eat his candy?

Jessica said...

Great idea with the games. I love conference. It is always the boost I need.