12/15/2007

dashing through the snow...

No, the mice didn't eat me....we just may be past that rough patch soon...haven't caught any mice in a 4 days!!! Preston and I left bright and early Thursday morning to make a quick 3 day trip to Massachusetts for his company Christmas party. The plan was to arrive in New England around 4:45 pm on Thursday afternoon, enjoy a pedicure, time to relax and the party on Friday, and return tonight. Well, after leaving SLC we got stuck in the Chicago airport for 7 hours! Our flight to Hartford was cancelled, so we jumped on a later, way later, flight. We ended up getting into Hartford at 10pm, waiting for our bag until midnight (it never came), and driving to our hotel in a foot of snow. And come to find out Hartford must never get snow because the roads were awful! They were completely snowpacked, and looked as though no plow had attempted to make the driving conditions acceptable. We arrived at our hotel at 1am and slept in our dirty clothes, without brushing our teeth. The next morning Preston had to drive to the local Walmart to buy a new shirt to wear to work. He was going to the Springfield office to hear the "State of the Union", where his boss tells everyone how the company was doing. I slept in, called Southwest begging for my bag, got a pedicure (SO wonderful and relaxing after a day of snow travel), went to the mall (bought some odds and ends), drove back to the airport to retrieve my bag (I needed my fancy party dress and showering materials), and drove back to the hotel to take a hot shower and get primped for the big event (pictures to follow soon).

It's been a long 3 days of delay and travel. We got stuck in Chicago again today, but only for a few hours this time. I honestly can say that the trip really was relaxing despite the snow, stress and delays. After traveling with a baby and then a toddler for the past few years, this trip was a breeze! I only had to carry on my satchel and camera, I could pee in peace whenever my heart desired, and I even slept, ate, read and scrapbooked on the plane and in the airport! None of that would have happened with Henry in tow. Plus, I got 3 solid days to spend with my hubby. It was pleasant.

We came home tonight to lots of hugs and kisses, and a kid who knows his colors! Thanks, Aunt Janelle and Uncle Dean!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see pictures of your big event. Sorry to hear about the horrible travel experience, but it still sounds like in the end you had a great time. Was Mandi there? I bet it was good to see her again!

pamela said...

i'm glad you made it back and i love your purchases!! i think 3 days of relaxing is just what you needed.

Unknown said...

a getaway with the hubby is always refreshing and needed, glad you were safe and had a good time.

HooverBirds said...

i'm glad you made it back safely! hey so we just found out yesterday night that WE have mice in our house! you'll have to give us some tips. check out my blog for more fun details.