12/11/2007

1 down, ? to go....

Just a little mouse update...
Yesterday afternoon I was scared to come home to check the mouse traps, in fear of finding a dead mouse, or seeing another live one running around. My neighbor came over to accompany me and help me set some new traps. We noticed in our food storage closet in the basement there was a perfectly round hole in the insulation, but we didn't see any mice droppings. When we couldn't figure out how to set those darn metal traps she called her husband over to help us. She took him downstairs to show him the hole in the insulation and we all followed. When she opened the door she immediately began screaming and jumping. I ran to the fireplace, hopped onto the ledge and screamed too. A mouse was jumping around in the there. Her husband yelled for tongs, and I went upstairs to fulfill his request. Moments later he snatched up that mouse with the squeeze of the tongs. He took it out back to finish it off and put it into a little Ziplock bag for the rest of us to see. The dead little critter and the tongs were thrown in the garbage.

I was happy with the capture and death of one of those little devils, but I've never heard of a mouse traveling alone. Again this morning I heard scratching in the walls of my office.

Now a little mouse car is sitting in front of my house, while a man without teeth is tending to our mouse problem. Traps are set, holes have been covered, and we're hoping to get this problem taken care of quickly. Christmas isn't Christmas when you have to celebrate it amongst rodents.

Upon receiving the bill I'm sure it will be decided that these mouse treatments will be my Christmas present. But I guess it's worth it to get my life and house back. We've eaten out every meal and spent every waking moment away since seeing that first creature run across the floor. Now it's payback time...

7 comments:

pamela said...

i think i just lost my appetite reading this entry.

The Unprocessed Project said...

I can't believe your neighbor was able to grab the mouse with tongs. Are you sure he isn't the Karate Kid?

Jennifer Woodbury said...

You poor thing! I hope those mice get out of your house ASAP. I do have to say that mouse car is hilarious.

Unknown said...

YUCK! I still can't even look at the picture of the mouse on your post below this one! YUCK! I hope you don't see any more mice!

Jeni Boston said...

Your story gives me the eebie jeebies!! I hope the toothless man kills all of them for you!!

annek said...

Tongs...are you serious?! That is unbelievable!! I don't think I ever heard of someone quite that agile!! As yucky as this seems, I am sure you love eating out, I know I would. :)

Melinda said...

please email me your address to melindahaaga@yahoo.com so I can send you a christmas card.