12/10/2007

not a creature is stirring...except for a mouse!

This post is being made at my neighbor's house because I refuse to go home. Last night while sitting on the couch chatting with my husband, and watching my 2 year old play by the Christmas tree, a black mouse ran from under the couch across the rug and under our coffee table. I screamed, jumped up onto the couch, and ran into Henry's room with Henry in tow. I read him books really loud so that I couldn't hear the happenings in the other room. Preston got out a pot and the vacuum and attempted to hunt the grotesque pest, but came up empty handed. 2 traps have been set and nothing has been captured. Henry went to bed. Preston went to bed. I sat at the computer with my feet up on the chair and worked on some Christmas cards and listened to squeaking coming from the living room and scratching from inside the walls. Tears slipped down my cheeks as I couldn't bear to move positions, in fear of catching a glimpse of such a creature again.

I did manage to sleep on and off last night, but could hardly get myself out of bed this morning. I fear mice....really, really fear mice. I would rather a snake in the house. I showered this morning, got Henry dressed and ran out the front door to take comfort in Einstein's bagels. I wanted nothing to do with that mouse or any of the others that are creeping through my house, nibbling on my son's crumbs.

Now I have taken comfort in the fact that tomorrow a man with pest expertise will enter our house and set traps and protect the perimeter. I feel violated. I feel as though I can't function as a normal human being. I know that mouse is waiting for me to be home alone for it to jump out under my feet. I would go into shock and die of a measly mouse attack.

I hate that I'm so scared and irrational, but I can't help it. It's just the way I am. I won't be the same until my house is mouse-free for a few months. They have invaded my personal territory, and I have shut down for the time being.

We once moved out of an old rental house that we loved because of a mouse infestation. We caught 16 mice the night we moved out. Last night I called all of my neighbors to see if they had a mouse trap we could use, and not a single person had any because they've NEVER had a mouse. So why are they moving into the scared, wimpy lady's house, and are found no where else in the area? I have horrible luck. I guess it's true that your fears follow you around!

6 comments:

The Unprocessed Project said...

Eeeeekkkkk!!!

You need a cat.

Melinda said...

We had a mouse in our townhome and I have the funniest video of Mark and his brother catching it. As I am watching Ratatouille right now just picture that cute little rat and maybe it will help you survive until your mouse problem is over.

Elle said...

Mice are one thing I do not miss about Utah. Maybe you can get internal repellant piping through your house like we do. It keeps pests away.....knock on wood.

The Lamb Family said...

I'm sorry... I hope the pest control catches the mouse. I know how you feel. Remember Taft near good ole Bakersfield? Well, I went to college there for a semester one year and when I was hanging out in the lawn, a mouse tempted to crawl under my pants. It was discusting!!! I though it was a big bug crawling so I flicked it off the first time and it came right back. I finally looked down the second time and find this huge nasty mice. I screamed and everyone in the campus must of heard me.

Good luck. Everything will be ok.

Unknown said...

I HATE MICE!!! That picture you have is just creepy!!! I am glad your neighbor was able to catch you mouse! I hope he doesn't have any friends hanging around!!!

annek said...

I am sorry! That feeling is terrible, you feel like you're a bad housekeeper when you have a mouse in you house. We all know that isn't the case for you, so good luck with the creature. Sorry again!