1/01/2014

REMEMBER to BECOME

The last few years I have picked "One Little Word" for my New Year's Resolution.
I really like the guidance, without any huge expectations, that the one little word offers.

2013 was "remember".  My first thought is, "How can I ever forget 2013?".
It was a rough year, and I don't think I will have any trouble remembering it.
BUT, I must give myself credit because as much as I didn't read my nifty sign daily,
I did "remember" what was most important.  


Let's be honest.  To remember all of this was too much.  But, I feel like I improved leaps and bounds with aspects of it.  I think this year was filled with reminders that my most important work was that of being a mother.  I feel like I got better at just living in the moment with my kids.  I would stop what I was doing and really try to give them time each day.  I'm not quite where I want to be (who is?), but I'm working on it.  The other area that I see progress in is to keep calm.  I'm not naturally a calm person, and have dealt with quite a bit of anxiety, but this year I was really able to figure out what works to control it and how to cope with it......to really let it come and let it go.  And, it has done wonders.  Do I still get anxious?  Yes.  But anxiety doesn't control me.  It is just there.  But, it isn't "me".   And that is liberating....and calming.

And moving right along...I picked a new word for 2014.
It is BECOME.

I feel like I have told myself a million times...
"I want to be healthy".
"I want to know the scriptures".
"I want to spend less money on trivial things".
"I want to just be happy with the here and now".

So, I'm going for it.
This is my year to BECOME.
That doesn't mean I have to do all those things and be perfect at them.
It means I have to commit myself to do better.
To Just Do It!
Give it my all most of the time and just see what happens.
To quit complaining and dwelling and guilt tripping.
And I truly believe that if I can give my best than my weak things "can become strong unto them".
Again, this isn't striving for perfection in the world's sense.  This is just me asking myself,
"Isn't it about time to just do these things you've been waiting to do?"
I got this.  

And here's my daily reminder...

Part of my inspiration for this word came from a General Conference talk that I read by Dallin H. Oaks.
It's really good, but this was the part that spoke to me...

"In contrast to the institutions of the world, which teach us to know something, the gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to become something. We conclude that the Final Judgment is not just an evaluation of a sum total of good and evil acts—what we have done. It is an acknowledgment of the final effect of our acts and thoughts—what we have become. It is not enough for anyone just to go through the motions. The commandments, ordinances, and covenants of the gospel are not a list of deposits required to be made in some heavenly account. The gospel of Jesus Christ is a plan that shows us how to become what our Heavenly Father desires us to become."

So here goes...

No comments: