1/25/2011

I resolve...

Sorry, this picture is from last month,
but it's pretty darn cute, and this post is all about these cuties.

It seems like the latest New Year's trend is
to make no resolution at all,
but I'm one of those goal-oriented people
that needs any and every reason to try to better myself.
Because believe me, I need some improvement.

So for 2011 my goal is to do my best
to try and spend 10 minutes a day
one-on-one with each of my children.
30 minutes a day dedicated to my children
sounds like a walk-in-the-park,
but it's hard to find the time and place
to escape from the other 2 kids and actually
spend 10 minutes listening to and playing with just one child.
Is anyone else with me here?
I thought that I would be a better mother than I am.
And no, I'm not fishing for compliments or sympathy,
but my days are busy, my patience wears thin,
and I feel like most days my kids just grab on
to my shirt and follow me in whatever I'm set out to do.
I would really love to step back, slow down, and
allow myself to have some quality time with
each one of my children doing what they want to be doing,
and not what I need to "get done".
I love them dearly,
want them to be happy,
and feel loved (individually, not collectively),
so this goal seems to be the best for me in 2011.

Now, I know the way I work,
this won't happen every day.
It may not even happen every other day.
I still am impatient and have a to-do list.
But, since I've made it a goal,
it will always be in the back of my mind,
and if by chance, I do just a wee bit better
at it, then it's more than I did last year,
right?

4 comments:

pamela said...

i'm with you, it's surprising how difficult it is to get them one on one.

Jennifer Woodbury said...

I actually think that is a really great goal. May have to steal that one.

Kathy said...

I really appreciate this post Jessie, because I often feel exactly the same way. Great goal (I'm definitely stealing it!) and you do know you're a great mom with great kids, right? I am so glad to have you as a neighbor and am so glad our kids are growing up together!

Kat

The Unprocessed Project said...

Man, makes my "floss daily" look sorta lame.