11/08/2007

That's a wrap!

It's that time of the month again to make copious amounts of one meal for Girlfriend's Cooking Club . Yesterday I cooked the day away making PF Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps. They are quite delicious I must admit. I hope the other girlfriends agree. You can find some of their cooking stories here and here. The part of the day that impressed me the most was the way my kitchen looked towards the end. You guys should be so proud! It featured all of the characteristics I so despise....dishes in the sink, small pieces of food jammed between the stove and the countertop, teensy chunks of meat lying on the ground to step on and smear, and smells that would make most pregnant woman barf. If you want a trip to Asia anytime soon come visit my house! Now the neat freak in me is off to clean up that smell. I paid a visit to B&B for some of their new, refreshing Twisted Peppermint. I'm hoping it's strong enough to conquer Asia!

Here's the recipe for those interested...

PF Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients:
8 dried shitake mushrooms
1 t cornstarch
2 t dry sherry
2 t water
salt and pepper
1 ½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, minced
5 T oil
1 t fresh minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onions, minced
8 oz can bamboo shoots, minced
8 oz can water chestnuts, minced

Cooking Sauce:
1 T hoisin sauce
1 T soy sauce
1 T dry sherry
2 T oyster sauce
2 T water
1 t sesame oil
1 t sugar
2 t cornstarch

Lettuce

Special Sauce:
¼ C sugar
½ C water
2 T soy sauce
2 T rice wine vinegar
2 T ketchup
1 T lemon juice
1/8 t sesame oil
1 T hot mustard
2 t water
2 t red chili garlic paste

Directions:
Cover mushrooms with boiling water, let stand 30 minutes, then drain. Mince mushrooms. Set aside.
Mix all ingredients for cooking sauce in a bowl, and set aside.
In medium bowl, combine cornstarch, sherry, water, soy sauce, salt, pepper and chicken. Stir to coat chicken thoroughly. Stir in 1 t oil and let sit 15 minutes to marinate.
Heat wok or large skillet over medium high heat. When pan begins to smoke slightly add 3 T oil. Then add chicken and stir fry for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
Add 2 T oil to the pan. Add ginger, garlic and green onion. Stir fry about a minute or so. Add mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and water chestnuts; stir fry an additional 2 minutes.
Return chicken to pan. Add mixed cooking sauce to pan. Cook until thickened and hot. Prepare special sauce by mixing all ingredients together.
Spoon chicken mixture into lettuce leaf. Drizzle with special sauce.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

pamela said...

i am laughing so hard right now of you with bits of beef on your floor. and i'm in utter amazement at the amount of work you went to. makes me feel like i am an extremely lazy contributer to GCC. i'm excited for my wraps!!!

Melinda said...

Looks fun! Sounds delicious!

pamela said...

last night bryan told me i need to start making these on a regular basis.

Jessie said...

i'm flattered that i satisfied a gourmet eater!

Unknown said...

Carry out is looking better by the second, that is way too many ingredients for me to mess up.

Anonymous said...

Jessie,
I just wanted to let you know that the lettuce wraps were awesome. My son Wyatt 19 months old keep saying "more,more,more" and he has not been eating very much lately. Thank you!

Jessie said...

Posting large quantities of meat makes me a little digusted... as feeling of ecoli runs down my spine.