12/14/2006

1 year old + Cherry Icee= DISASTER!

Honestly.....WHAT was I thinking? ....


We were at the grocery store last night, and I was craving a frozen Coke (when aren't I?).....I thought, "I can't very well let Henry drink Coke, but he'll want to drink it, so I better get him a cherry one". So I did. (It's crazy the things parents will do just to prevent future breakdowns) Well, it worked. He sipped, and sipped, and sipped throughout the store, all the way home in the car, and sitting in front of the TV watching Backyardigans while I made dinner. I know, I know....there is more sugar in that thing that he needs all month, but I was letting him have his fill. I kept peeking into the living room just to make sure the cherry Icee was going in his mouth and not other places. There he sat sipping away, mesmerized by the tune "it's racing day, it's racing day, it's not sausage-casing day...today's the day we race!" (you gotta LOVE the Backyardigans!). Then I'd return to making dinner before taking a quick peek again.

Well, I must have waited a little too long between peeks because in walked Henry with just the dome lid in his hand (can't be a good sign), covered from face to pants in RED, smiling, of course! I didn't even want to see what had happened in the other room. But, I had to face the consequences....I, afterall, had brought all of this on myself. What 15 month old can sit still for 20 minutes with an adult drink in hand?

Yes, I spent the next 20 minutes sopping up red dye from our dingy apartment carpet. Luckily, Preston walked in and was able to sweep Henry away and strip him down to his diaper in time for dinner.

I would say I've learned my lesson.....no more grocery store bribery with Cherry Icee, but I'm sure I'll probably do it again. Don't we all?

All Preston had to say about it was, "I think we just lost our deposit". Go figure!

3 comments:

The Unprocessed Project said...

Now that is hilarious! I think they make a blue raspberry flavored one that is clear (or ice color, whatever) I feel like I have seen that one at Target. Mmmmmmm I love frozen Coke! Frozen Diet Coke is even better!

pamela said...

i'm going to have to agree with preston and say the deposit is gone.....i know what you mean about needing a diversion. try those suckers that are like big smarties - they keep my kids good when we're on the go. and they are slightly less messy than a cherry icee.

Anonymous said...

You need to invest in FOLEX, it is the best! A spray you can buy at Target, for cheap, it removes carpet stains, even slushes!
kbsay