12/06/2007

Tree Tragedy

Where do I even begin? Last night Henry and I came home from the grocery store with a cute little Santa Express train to put around the base of the Christmas tree. I saw it on sale for 1/2 price and couldn't pass it up. Well, we get the cute little train all set up so that it's ready to circle the tree and give it a go. Then the following events take place....the train is in motion, the train catches on the lights hanging on the back of the tree, the train gets stuck on a branch, I push the branch out of the way, the tree FALLS directly on Henry, I scream, Henry cries and climbs out from under the tree...unharmed, thank goodness. Ornaments are everywhere. The star from the top is across the room. I'm in shock. Henry has a look of horror on his face and tells me the tree "trip-eed" (tripped). Yep, it sure did.I give it my all to get the tree back in it's upright position, but no matter what I do it continues to lean, tip and come tumbling down. I give up. Preston was out of town, and I knew I couldn't handle this one on my own. This tree's will was larger than mine. I called my handy dandy local sister-in-law, Janelle, and she and her hubby, Dean, came running to the rescue. What we thought was going to be fixed by running to Lowe's for a new, sturdy, metal tree stand, ended up being 6 hours of sawing, mutliple tree fallings, adjusting, rigging a pedestal and redecorating. At one point we had to cut about a foot of the bottom of the tree because the wood had worn thin and wouldn't hold, and our homely tree stood only 4 or so feet off the ground. I wanted to cry, but Janelle kept me laughing instead. I recall asking at what point, "where's the Christmas spirit in all of this?" and just wanted to throw the tree, ornaments and all, away for good! But, we conquered the impossible. Now the tree stands on a small, yet sturdy, pedestal of a printer box and wood, and is looking as good as ever. Oh, and the train is running successfully below. It takes a Lund, or an idiot (I'm not sure which) to still say that the real deal is the way to go! Christmas will happen, afterall!

10 comments:

Melinda said...

So funny!! Seems like that stuff always happens when the husband is away. I'm glad you got everything back in order. It looks great!!

bjean said...

Wow that was a lot of work. I think I'll stick with my two foot artificial tree that I left up all year.

But way to persevere!

Unknown said...

The train looks really great Jess!

The Unprocessed Project said...

I would have picked up a fakey at lowes instead of a new stand.

The Unprocessed Project said...

BTW, your card is adorable!!!

Renee said...

Oh my goodness, that is crazy! Your tree still looks so cute! Love the ribbon! I adore that picture of Henry...so cute, his facial expression! :)

HooverBirds said...

henry's face is priceless! i love it! yeah you should come over during the break to see the house. i love hearing everyones decorative input...whether i agree not.

Jeni Boston said...

I love that you are so dedicated to the real trees! There's just something about a real tree that you don't get from the fake ones!! Your "tree tragedy" made me laugh! I'm glad everything is okay now.

Jen S. said...

I just found this quote and I thought it was fittings..."Never worry about the size of your Christmas tree. In the eyes of children, they are all 30 feet tall." -- Larry Wilde

annek said...

You are a champ!! That is quite the story, I definitely would have cried if something like that happened and Rusty wasn't home. Henry looks so concerned in the pic!