9/26/2007

Building it up!

For Family Home Evening on Monday night Preston and I took inventory of all of our food storage in our basement closet. Throughout our marriage we have stocked up on a few items here and there, but with all of the disasters happening around the world and with all of the talk on being prepared for a rainy day we decided we better shift our efforts into high gear. We found that we have plenty of fruits and veggies and need to load up on higher protein foods and grains. But, we're feeling pretty good after the case lot sales all over town. This is our current stash...Then we got what Preston called "THE best deal of our marriage last night". A lady in our neighborhood sent out an email that a local grocery store was offering 10 Quaker products for $10....which includes cereal (Cinnamon Life is my favorite!), granola bars, pancake mix, syrup, and tons of other stuff. That's a great deal in and of itself, but THEN she found that another grocery store in town had $6 off 10 Quaker items. So guess what?...we combined the 2 deals and ended up getting 50 Quaker products for the low, low price of $20!!! Honestly, we left the place elated! That's $.40 an item!!!!! I'm still amazed.

Now I will just have to find room in my basement closet for 50 boxes of cereal and such! Sorry for such a boring topic, but I'm feeling awfully proud and prepared today!

9 comments:

The Unprocessed Project said...

What on Earth are you preparing for? There is enough food there to feed an army! I have never had that urge to stock up on food.

Jessie said...

Prime example....when we had to evacuate Houston for a hurricane (had we not been able to get on an airplane like many weren't) we could have shoved food, water, money, blankets, flashlights etc. into our car and been able to live on it for quite some time. All of the grocery stores, fast food places, and gas stations had shut down to evacuate as well, so many people were just stranded. That alone scared us enough. Plus, you just never know when Preston could lose his job or when a neighbor may need to borrow 20 cans of diced tomatoes ;).

You should get the urge one day....it's very fulfilling...and it's SO nice to not have to run to the store to come up with dinner ingredients!

The Unprocessed Project said...

Seriously though, is that FIVE bags of brown sugar I see? Won't it go bad before you have a chance to use it up? Are you churning out cookies like Betty Crocker?

I'm only joking.....I understand your rational. We really just don't have room for any more than one or two cans of anything!

Jessie said...

Yep, that's 5! It's the hubby that churns out the cookies every Sunday! So no, it won't be rotting under our roof!

The Lamb Family said...

Looks good, Jessie! I'm so proud of you;) I would do the same, except I don't have the space for it all, especially when I live in a crowded LA city. I probably have enough for like a week worth of food, if something happens. Better than nothing, right?!?!

Jen S. said...

we're out of toliet paper at our house. Can you spare a roll?

Unknown said...

I want to know what store that is! :) that is an amazing deal!!! Good to hear you are stocking up it is SO important!!

Unknown said...

My friend just linked me here. SO inspiring. Food storage has been on my mind and I never know where to begin. Ooo love me some Life, wish I could find a deal like that!

pamela said...

i can't even look at this. we could eat for maybe 3 weeks on our food storage. i feel really bad about myself right now.